A blog with pictures and memories from life in Lisbon. Um blogue de recordações de Milan Perveze...

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's the end of May, and the jacarandas in Lisbon are once again covered with clusters of blue tubular flowers. One of my first memories of being in Lisbon, as a kid, was of walking down the Avenue 5 de Outubro, with the pavement covered with these blue/lilac flowers, that kept falling from the trees as I walked. I remember my mother telling me of its name and of how it was common to see them in some streets in the colonial East Africa, Mozambique, where she grew up (the trees would blossom in the southern hemisphere around December). Ever since than, my fascination with these wonderful trees, brought from Brazil centuries ago, has not ceased, and each jacaranda in the city looks like a treasure to me, bringing memories of happy summer days...

9 comments:

zbjernak said...

wow...lilac colour flower...in abundants...
this is so lovely...

the blue flowers on the trees stand out and brighten the entire surrounding...

what a lovely lane...

Wendi said...

These trees are gorgeous!! I wish they grew in this part of the states, but unfortunately they dont :(

zbjernak said...

milan-> the geo-loc thingy... the one tht track your visitor...how can i register for one?

the website is not in english and i cant understand....hehehheheheheh

Milan said...

Z., apparently they are not accepting more registrations for a while (but I believe this is temporary, it also happened to me; when they do, possibly in the next few days, just go to "inscriptions", I'll have a look to the whole thing and I'll send you message on how to do it step by step). It's weird the thing is only in French!!! Those guys can be peculiar sometimes!

Nuno said...

Passed by those trees so many times and I never knew they came originally from Brazil. Thanks.

Metallyptica said...

It's a bummer how cars can ruin a view... but the jacaranda really enriches the city!

zbjernak said...

milan->oic... thanks ya ...

Anonymous said...

really a lovely lane =]

Milan said...

Thanks for passing by Queen of Rain. Come again.

Followers